Meet Maty. Mat joined the team late last year and has been leading our tours ever since. Part of our jobs as guides is to give you nuggets of info about the destination, interweaving our experience with history, comings and goings, past and future.
Learn a little more about Mat below.
1. Are you an original Novocastrian?
Nope. New Zealand born. Lived Brisbane and Gold Coast for 30yrs. I'm somewhat of a newish-Novo.
2. In your opinion, what makes Newcastle special?
The city has everything , easy access to surf coast & mountains
3. What is your favourite ride/trail/track in Newcastle (and surrounds?)
I love riding Tramway in Wallsend and the Fernleigh Track between Adamstown and Belmont (ride Fernleigh with us here)
4. If you were to take a first time visitor to Newcastle to the following places - where would you take them
a. Beach/Swimming spot
b. Coffee Shop
Mister Sister in Newcastle East
c. Somewhere for a drink
The Landing in Honeysuckle
d. Somewhere arty
The Lock Up in Newcastle East
Scotties (seafood restaurant) in Newcastle East
5. What are you currently riding?
Bombtrack Audax Gravel Bike
6. Dream bike?
Titanium gravel bike, belt drive, hub gear
7. Are you a fan of e-bikes?
E-bikes are getting more people out there riding bikes but sometimes they aren't in groups with pedestrians
9. Wildest fact you know about Newcastle?
First Woman Mayor Australia-Newcastle Joy Cummings and First Australian Council to raise Aboriginal Flag
10. What is a local business doing awesome things?
Ukulele Central - teaching local musicians and online